In this article, we’ll compare SARMs Vs Steroids. Are SARMs the same as steroids? What are the similarities between steroids and SARMs, and what are the differences? Find out everything you need to know about the benefits of SARMs and the downsides of steroids so you can compare and make the right choice for you.
SARMs Vs Steroids for Bodybuilding
Steroids have a long-standing association with bodybuilding, but they also have a lot of risks and unknown side effects. SARMs (Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators) are a newer form of compounds that can have a lot of the beneficial effects usually associated with steroids – but without the negative side effects.
Based on this information alone, we can say that SARMs are a better choice than steroids for bodybuilding. But that would make for a pretty short article! So we’re going to go into a lot more detail about the impact, legality and risks with steroids and SARMs so you can make an informed decision – should you choose SARMs or steroids for bodybuilding?
What Are Anabolic Steroids?
Anabolic steroids are synthetic steroid hormones which resemble testosterone in their effects on muscle growth. They are man-made, not natural and exogenous (meaning they come from outside the body).
Anabolic steroids are illegal, even though they continue to be used in a variety of sports (most notable in bodybuilding). The reason people still choose to use them despite their legal status is that they can have some powerful effects. But alongside those potential effects, come some risks and side-effects.
Most anabolic steroids were originally developed for medical use (or at least they started out that way). But remember that medical use of these drugs is controlled, dosed, administered in a sterile environment and assessed.
Steroid Benefits For Bodybuilding
If steroids didn’t have benefits, people wouldn’t take the risk. The truth is, these drugs can have some very impressive benefits on muscle gain, muscle retention and fat loss. We’ll look at the side-effects and health risks in a moment.
- Muscle gain – anabolics mimic testosterone, one of the key muscle growth hormones
- Training duration and frequency – this in itself leads to more muscle stimulation and potential growth
- Muscle retention – anabolic steroids ca reduce the rate of muscle wastage during training
- Muscle mass – steroid users can grow more mass than all but the most genetically gifted natural athletes
- Psychological – using drugs can make people feel as if they should be achieving more, so they work harder and train more seriously (call it a placebo effect, but it can’t be ignored)
Health Risks & Side Effects Of Steroid Use
Anabolic steroids are illegal, unregulated and come with a lot of health risks (both in the short term as you are using them and in the long term future). Many of these effects are irreversible no matter how many years you spend off the “gear”.
- Gynecomastia (“gyno”) – where male steroid users develop breast tissue or lumps
- Shrunken junk – guys using gear often suffer from shrunken testicles
- Prostate problems – enlarged prostate can be a side effect of steroid use
- For women, changes to genitalia include an enlarged clitoris
- Women users can develop deeper voices (we’re talking so deep that it’s a shocking change)
- Women users can also develop physical changes to the shape of the jaw, plus facial hair
- Baldness or thinning hair and hair loss for both sexes
- Women should expect interrupted periods which can have serious health implications
- Both sexes can be affected by severe acne on the face and body
- Tumours and other changes (especially to the liver) are common health risks
- Increased LDL and decreased HDL cholesterol
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) and other heart and circulatory issues
- Increased risk of tendonitis and associated injuries (especially in conjunction with lifting heavy)
- Plus the risk of infections linked to the administration of injectable drugs
- Steroid use can also lead to a number of mental issues including aggression, rage, depression, paranoia, poor judgement and even violent outbursts
Is it really worth it?
When you compare SARMs Vs Steroids and consider that SARMs offer most of these benefits with none of the risks, we would say no it’s not worth it.
Let’s learn about SARMs so you can compare SARMs to anabolic steroids for bodybuilding.
What Are SARMs?
SARMs are Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators – they are performance-enhancing compounds, rather than synthetic hormones. They have become popular with bodybuilders and other athletes who want positive benefits but without the short- and long-term risks to physical and mental health.
SARMs work by binding to androgen receptors on a cellular level which means they are very unlikely to lead to health problems (like the fertility issues, heart problems and physical changes in the list of steroid side effects).
6 Benefits Of SARMs
You can expect a range of positive effects from the sensible, proper use of SARMs, including benefits to muscle mass, body fat and body composition and training performance.
- Can help build more lean muscle mass
- Can help improve strength levels (so you can lift more)
- Can boost the healing and recovery process
- May improve training endurance to boost the duration and frequency of sessions
- Has positive benefits for bone health and bone density
- Can help you lose fat without also losing muscle mass
SARMs can give you the anabolic (growth) benefits of steroids but without needing to use an illegal drug which can harm your health. Sounds like a no-brainer! Another great reason to use SARMs (rather than anabolic steroids) is that you can buy them from above-the-board, approved distributors so you know exactly what you are taking, how to dose them and how to use them.
Lower Risks With SARMs
- SARMs are non-toxic, so won’t harm your liver
- You can always opt for oral SARMs so no need for injections.
- SARMs have no effects on your libido (and don’t affect the size of your genitalia!)
- SARMs work via androgen receptors, so have a balanced impact on all muscle groups
- Combine SARMs with a PCT (post cycle therapy) or test booster to offset any suppression. See our Guide to PCT for more information.
The Final Word
We are always honest with you, so we need to say that SARMs have been reported to give some side-effects (like vision issues with Andarine) – but this is only ever reported when SARMs are misused. So if you take the recommended dose, follow the instructions and buy from a reputable source then you should have no problem at all. (That’s kind of common sense, right?)
Are you deciding between SARMs vs steroids? What is there left to decide? Steroids are illegal, come with significant risks and are unregulated. SARMs have so many benefits, no known risks (when used properly) and can be purchased through legit and legal sources where you can get all the advice you need.